Wednesday, January 3, 2007

A bad "Secretary" Review


    "Secretary was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever seen. After seeing it land on a vast majority of year-best lists, and witnessing the adoration on RT, I had been very excited to see it.

    What I found disgusting about the film was not the explicit sexual content so much as the very conceit of the film. Essentially, the film suggests that a person driven to self-mutilation can find solace in submitting to pain and humiliation at the hand of someone else. I find that incredibly offensive. The structure of the film is very simplistic and does a tremendous disservice to people with real psychological difficulties. If there is any complexity in the film, it's because Gyllenhaal and Spader are incredibly intelligent, perceptive actors. The sad thing is that the film has a few keen observations and moments of humor that are awash in the exploitive nature of the concept. Maybe if they had done it differently it might have worked. I'm too lazy to post a link to the review in my journal, but Secretary just ended up not working for me at all." -Dade Devlin in "Rotten Tomatoes forum"
    Source URL: http://americanendeavor.blogspot.com/2007/01/bad-review.html
    Visit american endeavor for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive